Follow Twitter Button

Sunday 6 September 2009

Hope Series 2 Lee Quarry - Race 1

From Hope Series 2 Lee Quarry - Race 1 - Sept 2009


After a few weeks of waiting and deciding to enter, my first ever mountain bike race day arrived.

It was certainly a new experience, after many football matches, cup finals and playing at a reasonably good level, this was all new and nothing like any match day nerves. This was more apprehensive from just not knowing fully what to expect. Because of that, I felt slightly unprepared and how things would pan out. Even with what you think is all the right kit, it just feels alien to be on a start line waiting for a starter to give us all the signal to go.

The first thing to do was register and sign on, basically like signing on to marshal on a rally event, signing up to agree there are risks involved etc. I got a number board for the bike (number 44) and one to put on my back. I also got a blue wrist band, the type you get in a night club sometimes, the wrist band is really sticky on one part and once it's on, it's on. I put this on my wrist in readiness only to realise that my glove and sleeve pretty much cover it up immediately, so noticing everyone else had them wrapped round their seat tube or ankle (so obvious when you think about it) I got another and went with the seat tube option.

After signing on, off most people went, to get familiar with the course, really glad I did this as some of the course was a little tricky and just to know the drops and rocks was a good eye opener, it also gives you chance to find the line and learn the obstacles. The fact I was back at the start line pretty much out of breath from the recce lap didn't make me feel so confident, but knew this was going to be all new and fitness was going to be an issue, regardless.

The mass start put the BC racers (British Cycling) and the Weekend Warriors (my category) off the start line together. This was up a steep climb, loose gravel/quarry road, and with people scrambling for grip - weekend warriors I refer to here, I never saw the elite racers as they just cleared off :-). I seemed to find a few gaps in the heavy traffic and jump into them. So I felt like I was not last and definitely ahead of someone, that was great. But the long climb to the top of the quarry was a period where the jostling continued until the first singletrack, where wheel to wheel, we got in line. Still not last, it felt like this was going to be fun.

The race spread itself out after that, the course offered lots of steep climbing and technical descents, swooping (roller coaster) berm descents and a nice section of sandy hard work granny ring track.

I really enjoyed the first two laps, they were the easiest and most fun by miles as I was trying to race. I think by lap three I just wondered what I was doing, lungs and legs pretty much screaming at me. One long climb (only walkable on every other lap for me) I managed to clean and ride. That was a good feeling to be able to ride it (plus it was faster to ride than push I noticed, even at 2 mph! Cramp was really close after that climb, so at the top of that section I backed off a little and started to ride like I was tired and just wanted to get to the end of the event. That took a further 2 laps which meant I'd completed 5 laps at the finish. I was really happy with that but know for sure I was feeling it during the latter stages. I don't have a finish position yet, results out on Wednesday.

One complication I had was the chain/rear derailleur were not happy by the second to last lap and the chain kept coming out of the idler gears in the rear derailleur. This took about 10 seconds each time to fix but became quite annoying, I'm hoping that it was just mud causing
the problem (the cleaned bike seems to be in line with no bends/breakages apparent, at least). We'll find out during the week if it's broken. Not sure how to prevent it happening again. I certainly won't want to be replacing an XTR rear deraileur. If so, XT is going on.

I tracked the ride on Trail Guru, follow the link to see how long it was.

I also have photos and video which Cath kindly took and braved the cold. I was grateful to have someone else to help, I think doing this alone would be hard work and less fun if you have a problem. (I saw one guy had the ambulance crew come to have a look at him - I heard it was his ankle but he's okay, so I'm glad to hear that). The organisers had a lot of marshals out on the course and it was very well run, and you can't beat the sound of the bell for the final lap :-)

Well, next race, round 2 is September 27th so I'll be planning a lot more fitness before then to help get to 3 laps before it really starts hurting... A great start to attending race events and really enjoyed the experience.

3 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed the race. Good to get the vid on the front of Singletrack.

    Dave from Brownback Racing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rich, SteveB here, I did the bad brains Newmillerdam ride with you a few weeks ago (the old guy with the nice fruit cake). This was also my first race, though I settled for the have a go hero class which was quite tough enough for me! Excellent report and great pics!
    Hope to see you again soon down at Bad brains, Ican't afford lights at present so looking out for a weekend ride to get out again.
    Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice blog you have here...I wonder if you like bike then you must like bike games...you can play bike games at this site Bike Games. Also, you can play more game sites at Online Games, Kissing Games , Car Games, Driving Games, Truck Games, Dress Up Games, Games for Girls, Addicting Games and Girl Games.

    ReplyDelete