Follow Twitter Button

Tuesday 23 June 2009

Stumpy Project Update 1

From Stumpjumper Hardtail Project

The hardtail project bike has now started with the frame cleaned up. It wasn't too bad, just wanted a little sparkle to get it completely clean whilst I wait to source the next few parts.

I picked this up with bottom bracket, Cane Creek headset (although past experience with CC isn't fantastic up to now) and the seat post/clamp all included. Weight on the scales 'as is' 1950grams. Note: that includes the piece of string holding the headset on :-)

I have the intention of adding XT components throughout as I don't think I need to go up to XTR, however, we'll have to see what eBay has to say on that and when XTR parts are the same price as XT I'll probably go for XTR.

I also want to make it as light as possible with the budget, but think I'll be wise to buy good forks, and wheels/hubs as the expensive items. I'll go for either 90 or 100mm travel on the front as this matches the geometry the bike is designed for and wouldn't want to upset that too much. Think Fox F100 RLC would be a good choice or Magura Durin Race? All depends on who's got them available when I'm looking to buy. Will possibly aim at nearly new or slightly used as this should drop the price by approx £200.

Brakes - I'll probably stick to the same as the Stumpy FSR so that I only need to keep one type of spare pads in stock and the bleed kit can be used on both etc. Just makes sense and the Elixir are fantastic anyway.

I'll keep a photo blog of the build, expect it to take 6 to 12 months for the cash to materialise and not spend it on things like holidays instead. Plus the garage needs the lights wiring in to help with seeing what I'm doing in Autumn/Winter, and could do with a bike stand...so eyes peeled!

More to follow as and when I make changes. Photo blog here

No comments:

Post a Comment